So, while I have the TV with good ole Dom Jolly and Trigger Happy TV (where else can you see a man dressed up in a dog costume take on a guy in the street with a megaphone blabbing about neutering dogs or an excessively female flatulent yoga teacher), what better time for a quick roundup of the last few weeks c-books (mind you this is about a solid three weeks worth).
Black Panther #61 - Tight, well-done and wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this book wind up as the basis for a successful syndicated television series. The current story arc brings back a character from the Don McGregor/Billy Graham heyday of the Black Panther and it’s just been one of those books I’m looking forward to every month.
Captain Marvel #11 - Peter David was at that awful comics show a few weeks back and I resisted the urge to go up and ask him what happened. Most of the stuff he’s been writing lately has been a big turnoff. He’s had a couple of books get canceled (SuperGirl and Young Justice), SpyBoy seems to be MIA and honestly Captain Marvel hasn’t been altogether entertaining since it’s relaunch (ala the U-Decide stunt). May be time to drop this bad boy - a book about a hero with no redeeming qualities is usually a hard sell (see Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Punisher, Deadpool and Vigilante) and this book just isn’t making the cut. May be time to drop this in an issue or two.
Peter Parker Spider Man #57 - I think this was the last issue (as the titles been canceled to be replaced by another Spider based title). Ever since Paul Jenkins left, this has been one crappy and inconsistent book. Sam Keith’s artwork was really hard to get around but, the story was actually quite interesting once you got past the art. I can’t say I’m sorry to see this title go.
JSA All Stars #3 - I love the monthly JSA book and I’ve been enjoying this book as well. Nothing spectacular, just a solid book.
Avengers #68 - Geoff Johns breathes life into another title. Solid book, truly entertaining with a refreshing take on familiar characters that works really well. Copiel’s art is well suited for the book (although he’s missed from DC’s Legion).
Batman #616 - This is a big seller and to tell the truth, I don’t really find it anything spectacular. Brian actually looks out for this book now, making a point to get it each month (which is unusual for him since he doesn’t really buy books that often) and it is one of the best selling books in the industry but, Jeff Loeb has lost a lot of his magic with the crappy Marvel series he’s done of late (Daredevil: Yellow and Spiderman: Blue). I think the whole villain of the story has been telegraphed - SPOILER WARNING SKIP THIS - It’s probably Bruce’s doctor friend from childhood - hence the Ras Al Ghul L-pit thingy, you wouldn’t spend so much time developing a background character who was incidental to the story.
Robin #115 - I just like the book month in and month out. They’ve managed to round out the character of Tim Drake and make him entertaining and likable. Good supporting cast, has a tendency to lose it’s way with the convoluted plots from time to time and leaves a bit to be desired in the way it handles subplots but, still much better than a lot of the other stuff that’s out there.
Legion #21 - I’ve grown to like the book. I don’t think of it as one of the best that’s out there but, generally it’s an entertaining read and has a good mix of new and old thrown together.
Batgirl #41 - A book sorely in need of a stronger editorial hand. The art is beautiful but, it’s another of those books that seems to be treading water plot wise. Lacks drama.
Superman: Metropolis #5 - Chuck Austen somehow manages to keep me coming back month after month (which he did much the same way with his run on Birds of Prey). Throws in enough hooks to keep your interest. Title’s focus isn’t so much on the big “S” as the backdrop for his universe. Good use of characters, I wonder if any of Austen’s work will bleed over into the other Super titles - it wouldn’t be a bad thing.
The Incredible Hulk: NightMerica - One of those painted comics (watercolor) that’s supposed to be oh-so high brow. Story is passable, art is decent, I honestly don’t think I’ll manage to last all six issues.
Lucifer #39 - One of those odd books that doesn’t have big circulation numbers but, has enough going on for it that is has a good core following. After reading a few issues I got hooked and haven’t missed an issue since. It’s an interesting book with the first fallen as the lead character. Solid fantasy and a good read for anyone who enjoyed Sandman.
Astro City: Local Heroes #3 - One of the books you wait for. Busiek is slowly recovering from his mercury poisoning and has returned to his greatest work. There are very few books that can stand up to Astro City and it’s probably one of the few books worth buying even if you’re not a comics fan - remember Eight Ball was a comic, so was From Hell and a bunch of other hit movies over the last few years. This would be one of those books that would make another great ongoing series.
WildCats #3.11 -Now were hitting stride, another great book. When people talk about Joe Casey’s work, my eyes usually glaze over and I haven’t really been a fan of most of what he’s done but, he touches them all with this book and to top it off Dustin Nguyen has got to be one of the top storytellers in comics today, his work is just spectacular. Really tight well-done book.
The Flash #199 - Maybe one of my top 5 books. Another of Johns’ titles and the one he came to prominence on. It’s rushing headlong to a 200th issue and a dramatic conclusion to the current storyline but, that shouldn’t stop anyone from jumping on the roller coaster. Scott Kolins art (which I didn’t like at all at first) has just improved leaps and bounds to the point where I can’t imagine who would follow him on the title.
The Incredible Hulk #56 -Bruce Jones takes you on a ride with a villain you thought you knew. Still waiting for the payoff from his tenure on the book (lots of mysterious subplots). Fernandez’ art is very reminiscent of Leonard Kirk. Solid read.
Superman #194 - I’m a big fan of Scott McDaniels so I have to acknowledge my bias. Seagle crafts a good yarn and the book is another solid read.
Sentinel #3 -Has the same feel of the early run of Impulse (which I was a big fan of). I would hope it’s a big seller among young adults because I think that’s the audience it’s geared for but, it has the kind of naive, innocent fun of a 60’s book. Art is in the same vein as Weiringo’s work.
Outsiders #1 -Judd Winick’s first issue of DC’s new team book. Much ballyhooed, it is nothing spectacular. I have been cooling to Winick (an alumnus of MTV’s Real World) since he left Green Lantern. His Green Arrow is truly horrible. Tom Raney is a draw but, I don’t know if he can save this title from Winick’s mediocrity.
Fantastic Four #70 -Unfortunately, Waid and Weiringo wind down their spectacular run on this title. The battle with a rejuvenated and now mystical Doctor Doom is riveting. Reed Richard's, dyslexic? Need I say more?
Batman: Gotham Knights #42 - Brian Bollands covers are what sells this book. It just doesn’t manage to achieve the level of drama it’s reaching for. Something is missing. Soon to be dropped.
Daredevil #48 -Bendis is making me a fan. I implored him on the boards to bring back older characters like the Owl and he did successfully. I’m not as crazy about the hero-as-celebrity trend which is prevalent in Marvel’s books these days but, Bendis knows how to write and Maleev’s art is some of the most beautiful work Marvel is publishing right now.
Amazing Spider Man #54 -Also has to be in the top 5. Solid book with great writing and great art, never disappoints. This title is enjoying a renaissance of sorts since Straczynski came on board. Romita Jr. just gets better and better. Straczynski has a terrific knack for writing dialogue, manages to elicit a few solid laughs with his skill at it.
Action Comics #805 - Joe Kelly and Pascual Ferry turn in a yeoman effort. Good, entertaining read and Ferry’s work harkens to Mignola’s with his use of shadow.
The Authority #3 -Tanking in a big way. The book that had so much buzz around it a year or two ago is running out of steam. It’s moment may have passed (remember Preacher?). This is a book sorely in need of a new creative team before the current team runs the title into the ground. It’s just not making the grade compared to what has gone before it. How very disappointing.
...and in passing some stuff that was laying around:
Tales of Bulletproof Monk - I had to force myself to read this, just wasn’t enough there for me.
Green Lantern: Brightest Day/Blackest Night -Prestige format title harkening back to the days of the golden age of comics (radio/ww2). Fun, good story, good art but, nothing earth shattering. 5 on the 10 scale.
No comments:
Post a Comment